photo.php.jpg

there are some things better left unsaid.

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Last Bittersweet Blog for J217

In the last six months I have realized a lot about myself as a journalism student. I feel that I may not be prepared for the path I've chosen. The J217 course has been the driving factor in my creating this judgment of myself as a writer.
I've realized that going down the path of an investigative reporter, or even a reporter at all, is not for me. This sad fact is even more grim, because the only reason is that I really don't care about investigative reporting. There's nothing wrong with this fact, but it does kind of bum me out. But, I just can't for the life of me imagine writing about money and people who are much less important in this world than they like to think for the rest of my life.
I attend, in my opinion, a fine scholastic institution. I feel that I didn't gain as much as I should've from this class, not because the course didn't offer anything, but because I simply wasn't that into spending weeks on end studying a budget and poking holes in an entirely functioning school foundation. I did, however learn a whole buttload of information on the history and function of journalism. Erin Foote Marlowe is a great teacher and without her guidance and enthusiasm I'm sure I would've dropped J217 the first day.
I do love journalism, but even as a child I wanted to write for National Geographic, or Rolling Stone, or Thrasher, not The New Yorker. I don't want to do the investigative reporting thing ever again, mainly because it offers me nothing intellectually. Or at least it's not very fun.
I would rather write about all the cool shit that will stoke people out than write about budgets and parking space at COCC. I want to care about at least one of my accomplishments in life, and I know that won't happen working in newspapers my entire life.
I thoroughly enjoyed the J217 class regardless of my feelings about where I want to go next with my writing. Thanks to Mrs. Erin Marlowe as well as Lisa Lovell and Sean P., you've all been great influences and I've enjoyed sharing this class experience with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment